Thursday, May 24, 2012

Travel Aid

I'm leaving for the United States in three weeks. Three weeks! How did that come up so quickly? The  process of list making has begun; what I need to take, what I MUST bring back.

So far my lists are still short. I have to take back cherry jam for my sister, fabric for Provence Rugs, and Camargue salt for a friend. My list of goodies to bring back to France includes shredded coconut (the carrot cake is nothing without it and I can't find it), my lightweight down blanket and my Huggable hangers (I know, sounds stupid but they rock and save so much space). This list gets smaller and smaller each visit to the states as I become more accustomed to what I used to consider the oddities of life here in France. I mean, no shredded coconut? Really? But on that list I also have many other things that my french friends want me to bring back from the states, either because they are so much cheaper or because they simply can't be found here. So far that list includes camera cases, language translator, jeans and eyelash stimulator. It will get longer before I leave, of that I am sure.

I'm lucky because I have so many visitors who are willing to bring me things I miss, another reason why my list is so small. But this week a few things came across my desk that seem to be ingenious ways to solve the want/need issue.

This site pleasebringme.com is a very basic site that allows you to ask travelers to bring you something from their country, or you can offer to schlepp something to someone in a country you're traveling to. You can specify what you would like in return, if anything. For instance, some people ask for a ride from the airport, some ask for a city tour and others ask for nothing. The site is very basic and not very easy to navigate but people seem to be using it. There is a guy in Sidney who is offering a tour of the city to anyone willing to bring him Monster Munch chips from England. Another guy in Brazil is offering $200 if you bring him a Macbook air.

A similar site, and the one I prefer, is called mmmule.com. They offer the same service but it's much easier to navigate and you are not only allowed to enter where you're going and where you're coming from, but you can filter the announcements by the reward offered and the items wanted. Pretty nifty. I've already replied to a guy in Minneapolis who would like someone to bring him a bottle of Suze and he responded by offering me a couple of drinks in his favorite bar or $20 plus the cost of the Suze. I'll decide when I see what he looks like!  Another guy here in France is offering a tour of his city if you bring him comestible insects. Yeah, I had to look that one up too; he wants to eat them! I'm trying to determine where I can get edible insects in the states, if I can get them across the border and if I REALLY want a city tour given by a man who enjoys eating insects.

There is another, very cool facet to this site that I really love. It's called Angel Mule and this is a section of the site that is specifically for travelers willing to bring needed items to charity and humanitarian organizations around the world. Requests range from pencils and children's toys to clothing and paint for the school. Most of the requests come from countries in South America or Africa but often they proffer accommodations or language lessons in return. This seems to me to be an awesome way to do some interesting travel.

And speaking of interesting ways to travel, how about this site, Miss Travel? The following is an excerpt from their site:

Attractive Traveler: If you are a beautiful person who wants to travel for free, just signup as a "Attractive Traveler". Attractive Travelers are adventurous and open minded people who love to travel, but lacks the budget to do so. As such, you are looking to meet Generous members who are willing to pay for you to travel, or gift you frequent flyer miles which may be redeemed for free flights on all major airlines. Remember, as a Attractive Traveler, you get to use our website 100% Free.

Generous Traveler: If you are a generous sponsor, signup as a "Generous Traveler". Generous Travelers are generous members who are seeking to travel with a beautiful companion, and who are willing to pay for all travel expenses. Generous Travelers can use our website for free. Pay only when you decide to communicate with any Attractive Traveler.
Umm...umm...I guess it could work but can you say 'concubine'? Although I am waiting for someone to dare me to dare this...just to see how it works. On the other hand, I'm old, I have a baby belly and my boobs are very small and entirely natural (meaning they're closer to my belly button than my shoulders. I'm not sure I would qualify to go gallivanting with a old fat rich sugar daddy "Generous Traveler". I think I'll leave that research to somebody else. Any volunteers?

Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. I always thinks it's fascinating what you can find in one part of France and not another. I've found coconut in our grocery store (unsweetened), but the bag was so big I didn't think I'd ever be able to use it all. Happy to ship you some the next time you're out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's strange. I can find a type of grated coconut but no shredded. When I tried to find celery seeds, NOBODY here knew what I was talking about. I was at a market one hour north, found the seeds at the spice market, and the woman rattled off all the things they use celery seeds for in that region. Very colloquial. And thank you. I might take you up on that.

      Delete
  2. You haven't been able to find shredded coconut?? How random! I have seen it in pretty much every baking aisle I have been in - maybe you're just not looking in the right place? (which is often the case in France lol). The most well-known brand is Vahina - it is usually in the baking section where there are hanging racks of baking supplies - here is a picture of the packet if that helps at all:
    http://tinyurl.com/6on3rv4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ksam. I couldn't open the picture but I do know the brand. I've been to all the grand surfaces, plus the specialty stores. I'm sure I'll run across it eventually. But maybe it's a northern thing.

      Delete
    2. Try this link:
      http://www.telemarket.fr/dynv6/produit/17191000-Vahine-Noix-de-Coco-Poudre-125-g.shtml

      Delete
  3. What great sites. Just as I was reading your blog, Grace was online answering questions to win a trip with a "Dutch celebrity" from KLM. She'd like to try the "attractive traveller" thing, but, as her mother, I vote no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I you get to, Paulita! I need to know more about the 'dutch celebrity"!

      Delete
  4. I usually just order whatever I can't get here and have it shipped over. Of course, this won't work with the cherry jam. Nothing can compare with the homemade jars of love. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shipping here is deadly expensive and I avoid it at all "costs"! Thank you for the best wishes.

      Delete
  5. Miss Travel! I know a real old bag who thinks she is still gift wrapping...I'm sending her the site via as third party....

    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly, now there's a website idea...which probably exists. Sending things to people anonymously! If she does it, I expect a report back.

      Delete
  6. It's funny what you bring back, isn't it. I find I mostly bring back British sausages (frozen) and English chocolate (Flakes, Galaxy, Milky Bar), Polos and English chewing gum - all for my boys, natch.

    Talking of doing things for others, I thought this family pretty cool: http://www.projectgardenshare.org/index.html
    (seen in http://nodamnblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/we-need-more-people-like-this/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "all for the boys, natch". Whatever you say! For some reason I can't pull up that site with that link. I'll try going around it another way.

      Delete
  7. I never dreamed such website existed. Funny how we crave things from home. I remember hauling the crazy items back and forth from Beanie Babies, Fun Fruits and Mac n Cheese when the kids were little to pickles, raclette and Mamie's homemade jelly now that they are adults. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I forgot about raclette. I'll probably have to take some home. Think it'll get past customs. They'll be able to sniff it out immediately! Are you going back this summer?

      Delete
  8. Delana, I cherish the plastic hangers I brought with me from the US eleven years ago. Since most of them are still functional and I have less clothes than before (closets here being what they are, not to mention my pitiful budget) I still have enough!
    Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that darned closet problem. Thus the need for the hangers. I'm so glad to hear that hangers aren't so goofy.

      Delete
  9. Delana

    I think you might just get away with going for "Concubine" - anyway, I'll dare to you so!

    Even if you have a baby belly and your boobs are very small and entirely natural (meaning they're closer to your belly button than my shoulder - drooping, in other words?), I think that there might be someone out there who might be interested?

    Perhaps someone who could say, in his defense... "hi iam country boy but kid at heart. i am a farmer with alot of extra likeings such as feastivals, hunt, fish, tractor pull, travel, and like meeting new people."

    Now, someone like that might be right up your street?


    All the best

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I don't think I've ever been so glad to receive a comment! I've been worried about you! And I'm sure that guy is still looking for a date. And he's a farmer...he's accustomed to low hanging fruit! I'm SO, so glad to hear from you.

      Delete
  10. Darling, let me know how 'Miss Travel' works, I am older than you maybe there is a chance for me too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, YOU try it, Blandina. I'm not sure I have the guts...or do I?

      Delete

Talk to me!